i love experimenting with ingredients and mixing things up - if i had one cent for every time i stood with a recipe in my hands and said to my husband i'm sure if i just substitude this with that i'm sure it'll taste so much better, i would've been a very rich lil lady by now! i love good food, i love entertaining, i love cosmopolitans, i love eating out but most of all i LOVE my husband for putting up with all my failures and going to bed with nothing but a toastie! L♥VE YOU NEET!
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
♥ halibut with grapefruit, parsley, red onion & shiitake mushrooms ♥
this healthy and tasty recipe is courtesy of chef jimmy bradley and can be found in "the red cat cookbook."
what you'll need... ♥1 1/2 large pink grapefruits
♥3/4 cup torn flat-leaf parsley
♥1/4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
♥1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
♥coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
♥1 tablespoon heavy cream
♥1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, plus 1 tablespoon for fish
1. slice the top and bottom of grapefruits with a paring knife. set one of the flat sides on your work surface. from top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit, cut away peel and white pith. trim off any remaining pith. holding the grapefruit over a medium bowl, cut along both sides of 12 segments, staying close to the membrane, to release; discard any seeds.
2. squeeze juice from remaining sections into a small bowl, discarding any seeds. you should have about 1/2 cup juice.
3. add parsley, onion, and olive oil to bowl with grapefruit sections; season with salt and pepper and gently toss to combine. cover and set aside.
4. pour grapefruit juice into a small nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. continue boiling juice until reduced to a thick glaze, about 5 minutes. whisk in cream and let reduce for 1 minute. remove saucepan from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup butter, one piece at a time. whisk in hot sauce and season with salt and pepper; cover and set aside.
5. heat 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until beginning to crisp, about 4 minutes. season with salt and pepper; set aside, covered, to keep warm.
6. heat remaining 1/4 cup grapeseed oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. season halibut fillets with salt and pepper and place them in skillet. add remaining tablespoon butter and let melt to prevent fish from sticking to pan. cook fish, turning once, until opaque, about 3 minutes per side.
7. divide mushrooms evenly between 4 serving plates. top each with grapefruit salad and a halibut fillet. spoon over sauce and serve immediately.